My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Day 2 in Paris

Today was the first Sunday of the month, which in Paris means no charge to get in museums. We decided to go to the Musee D'Orsay, known for it's huge collection of Impressionist art. The line outside stretched about 4 blocks, but it moved fairly quickly, and we were in within the half hour. It was super busy inside too, but it was well worth it because there were so many exquisit paintings and sculptures-- the famous and not so famous.
On our way out of the museum, we crossed the Seine and walked through the Jardin de Tuileries. The sun was shining, and people were in the gashops, walking, jogging, or just sitting on the benches. There was also a carousel and giant trampolines for kids. At the end of the gardens is La Place de la Concorde-- a square where the beheadings took place during the French Revolution. There's a giant Egyptian obelisk and an magnificent fountain in the center.
Not too far from the Place de la Concorde is the Place de la Madeline, with a giant Greek-like building, and a ton of designer shops. Because it was Sunday, nothing was open, but we peeked inside the display windows, including Fauchon, the designer food store. We took the metro back to Monmartre where we happened to find the fruit and veggie shop that was used in the French movie "Amelie".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home