My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

First day at Chateau de Sacy

I arrived at the chateau fine... I made all my flights, and despite having to wait for a couple of hours for trains, the trip went smoothly. The outside of the Chateau de Sacy is gorgeous. It's a house that dates back to the 1600s with a large barn in the courtyard ( no animals though). there are 2 big gardens with fruits, veggies, and herbs, 2 small meadows, and a small wood in the back. The inside of the house itself is less impressive-- Hermine, the owner, lives there on her own, and obviously focuses most of her attention on the gardens, not on the cleanliness of the house. I won't go into exhaustive detail, but I will tell you my new rule that I've made for the chateau in particular, and every house I'll be staying at from now on: don't look up, don't look down (including at your plate or in your glass), and what you can't see won't hurt you.
Today was my first full day at the Chateau. I did a couple smaller jobs like clearing debris from one of the gardens, and fixing the foundation for the future maze on part of the property. Two other WWOOFers fro, Australia are coming tomorrow afternoon, so I'll start on the bigger jobs when they come. This evening was great, because I took one of the bikes (which was not too bad, except the breaks don't really work... good thing I'm not in the mountains...) and biked about 4 km to the nearest dairy farm, and bought 3 litres of fresh milk and 10 eggs for €2.70 The family at this farm milk the cows and collect eggs fro, the chickens every morning at 6am, and every evening at 6pm. For an hour afterwards, sell the milk and eggs right from the barn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home