My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Hunt

I've been wanting to travel to France during my year off after high school for a while now. I wanted to keep busy, gain some life-changing experiences, and maintain my French-- something I`m deathly afraid of losing after 12 years in French immersion. I knew I wouldn't have enough money to just go travelling, so I originally wanted to get a job in France as an au pair so that I could make a little money and do some travelling at the same time. This didn't really work out when I looked at a number of au pair websites and saw that most of them required 2 reference letters from previous babysitting employers. I had babysat for a family for about a year, until they moved west of the city, and I had no way of contacting them. Other than them, I just babysat people on and off-- not enough to get a reference letter out of them. Secondly, I asked myself, do I really want to be babysitting for 5 hours a day, 6 days a week for 2 months? I never really enjoyed it, I just did it for some extra money. That's when I started to look at work experience in France, but all the programs I was looking at had sky-high fees, and I would only receive a stipend of around 180 euros a month-- that works out to about a dollar an hour. My only option left was to volunteer. I decided this really was the best thing for me. I would like to use my time off not only to profit myself, but to help someone else out, and actually make a difference in someone's life without having a price tag attatched to it. The internet is a sea of volunteer oportunities, and I was completely lost. Everything I came across had fees in the $1000 and $2000US range-- not including airfare. I took my mom's advice and joined slow talk, a message board out of slow travel. I posted my dilemma: I'm taking a year off from high school, I don't have much money, and I want to volunteer in France. Where do I start? I received several helpful responses, one of them suggesting I should join WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). I joined for only $30US, and I got a list of 316 independant hosts in France who wanted help on their organic farms, and in exchange would provide room and board.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie,
I'm so excited to read about your plans. Good Luck!! The country looks so beautiful, and you'll be outdoors enjoying the sun and air, so much better than being stuck indoors. I'll follow your entire trip and can't wait to read more.
Love and bon voyage
your aunt Eileen

5:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JULIE!!!
wow everywhere your going looks soooooo beautiful! your going to have an amazing time! live it up!!! cant wait to hear all about it when you get home! there better be pics!
amanda

10:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home