My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

First day in Paris

Today was my first day in Paris, and it was awesome. The apartment we're staying in is in the heart of Monmartre. It's a little crammed, but it's really nicely restored, beautifully decorated, and it's clean! We took the bus to Notre Dame, and had a great tour of Paris and it's sights on the way. We didn't go inside, but took plenty of pics at the front. We wanted to find somewhere to eat lunch, but out front it was packed with tourists. We walked around the the back of Notre Dame (which I think is much nicer than the front...but less famous) where there are benches and gardens and almost no tourists, and we had a peaceful lunch there.
After our lunch, we walked over to Saint Chapelle, and waited in line for 30 minutes to get in. It's a church built in the 1200s to house the supposed crown of thorns that Christ wore during the crucifixion. It's not that big, but what it's known for is it's stain glass windows-- on a sunny day it's like you're inside a jewel box.
Later, we walked around Paris, and went to the outside of the Georges Pompidou center-- a museum of modern art. It's an amazing building that looks like it's been built inside-out, because all the pipes and stairs are on the outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home