My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Experiencing a bit of the culture

The past week has flown by. 6 hour work days seem more like 2 hour work days, I'm eating amazing food every day, and even though the weather hasn't been the best, I'm really enjoying myself. For the last couple of days I've been stuck with the really disgusting jobsthough. For 3 days, David and I drained the natural swimming pool, and cleared out about 10 wheelbarrows full of greenish-brown sludge. It was really hard work, and I finished every work day caked in a greenish muck, smelling of pond water. Their jacuzzi tub is in a small glass enclosure on the side of the house, and I was left to clean that as well. The roof of the inside was ultimately one massive spider web, with spiders the siz of my big toe, and even hornets the size of my thumb. I also swept about 3 dustpans full of beetles and other dead bugs that were on the floor and on the inside of the empty jacuzzi. As disgusting as these jobs were, it was really satisfying to step back once I was finished and see the result of my work.
Yesterday was David's birthday, and we hosted a big lunch with 14 people, and ended up polishing off 16 bottles of wine. Besides one other younger couple, it was entirely retired couples in their 60s, who, as David told me, spend most of their spare time drinking, partying, and travelling. As they were leaving, one woman was crawling under the table to find her sandals, and another commented on how she couldn't tell whether she was sitting or standing. 2 other WWOOFers arrived in the middle of all this-- an American couple in their early 20s-- but they were glad to have a huge meal of oysters, roast duck and potatoes, French bread, smoked salmon, and wine after their long trip. Ali and Noah, the WOOFFERs, met at the university of Boston, and they're coming to France and Italy for a month after just graduating this past weekend. They're really nice and great to talk to. We had a busy day today at work, and we all went to Chateau Bel Enault to see the gardens, and to Chez Roger to drop off the salad. When we arrived at the restaurant, a couple of people had already arrived. They were close friends of the owner and we all stood around and drank wine. Then Roger brought one of the live lobsters from outside. He had it on it's back in one hand, and a small fork in the other hand. The entire belly of the lobster was covered in black lobster eggs, and he began to feel some of the women the caviar. We got back to Monfreville exhausted, and we plan on sleeping in tomorrow ( one of our days off), and then do some touring of the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home