My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Right now I`m taking a year off from high school. For the past 2 and a half years, I`ve been working towards my grade 10 piano exam with the Royal Conservatory, and I finished in January, with a mark of 83%. Now I want to travel and volunteer, particularily in France because I love the country and I don`t want to lose my French after having gone through 12 years of French immersion. Until I leave for my trip, my days consist of going to work (I work in a restaurant), playing the piano for fun, planning my trip, walking the dog, going to yoga, and going out with friends.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Winding down the trip

Over the last couple of days, most of the work I'm doing consists of washing dishes and picking fruit. Thrilling, I know. I have done a couple of different things, including bottling and labelling some of the wine Estelle makes (crazy kinds like sparkling grapefruit, raspberry, lemon, and quince). Pierre-Yves makes white cheese with his cows milk, and I strained a batch and put it into containers. Other than that, the work is pretty monotonous, and time is going by pretty slowly. However, 2 somewhat interesting things have happened. On Friday, the DaVnici Code was playing in Lamastre, and Estelle dropped me off at the theatre, and arranged for someone that lives in Nozières to give me a ride home. (She thought she would be too scared to watch it). It was in French, of course, without subtitles, but I understood most of it. What was interestingwas the so called "theatre": it's really a big room that they use as a hall for wedding ceremonies and any other gathering, but they had set up chairs and there was a big white screen hanging on one wall.
Yesterday was the Fête de cerises (cherry party, or celebration), and they invited a whole bunch of friends to the farm and had a big hoe down. This was most literally a hoe down-- there was food, wine and dancing in the barn. On of the men had brought his accordian, and he played tradition French songs and taught everyone the dances. It really was your stereotypical idea of a French hoe down. Because the party went so late, we camped out at the farm. They have built a small covered structure out of wood-- I really don't know what else to call it-- it has a roof, but no walls, with a ground level and an upper level. It's not big, but there's enough room for 4 people to sleep on the top level. They laid out mattresses there, and I slept on the ground level in the hammock. At first when they told me I was sleeping in the hammock, I thought, oh God my back is never going to forgive me and I'm barely going to sleep. But Estelle showed me that to properly sleep in a hammock, you lay down at t 45° angle. That way you can control how taught you want the hammock, and you're ultimately laying flat. It was actually really comfortable, and the next day after breakfast (my day off), I layed in the hammock and read for a couple of hours. I had really wanted to spend my day off sight seeing and doing the whole tourist thing, but there's really nothing close to the farm or the town. For me to really get anywhere, Estelle or Pierre-Yves would have to drive me to Lamastre and I'd have to take a long bus ride to wherever I want to go. I figured this was just too much hassel, and I spent my day of rest mostly resting, and I hiked back to the house in the late afternoon.
Another thing worth noting is that I have my day of departure set. I was planning on staying at least 2 weeks here-- that would get me to the 24th of June. But the flights are really booked from that time on, so the best I can do is stay until th 21st. On Wednesday I'm going to get the train to Lyon, spend a few hours sightseeing there, and get a cheap flight to London. Unfortunately, I don't have time to sightsee around London like I had wanted to, because I'm going to try and catch the first flight out the next morning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just want to say how pleasant it has been reading your blog. I'm thinking of going Wwoofing in France this year. Really got a feel for it from your descriptions and stories...*

3:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home